Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Apr 10 2018 :  09:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever had one of those wonderful bowl-shaped pressed sandwiches, usually called muffaletta? I've been thinking of trying this out with a round beginner batter bread for a long time now, and I think this week I might give it a whirl.

They're made by cutting off the bottom of a round loaf of bread, placing the top in a bowl, layering a bunch of spinach (or other greens), Italian meats, cheeses, and an assortment of capers, pepperoncini, olive oil, vinegar, herbs, and spices. Then, the bottom is placed over the whole thing. After that, the loaf is covered with a plate that will fit down into the bowl, and weight is added to the plate to compress the whole thing. It's refrigerated over the course of a few hours, or overnight. After pressing, you pop the whole thing out of the bowl, slice, and eat. I'm thinking this would make a wonderful family dinner. The round Pyrex dishes are perfect, because the loaf can be baked in the dish, and the sandwich can be pressed in it too.

Now I just need to decide what type of flour to use. Sprouted wheat? Einkorn? Einka?

Ashley Ogle

Sylvia Jacobus
62 Posts
Sylvia
Kent WA
USA

Posted - Apr 10 2018 :  10:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to a recipe I tried some time ago,
http://emerils.com/121389/muffaletta
You got to make the olive salad. Dang, now I want to go shopping and buy the ingredients.
Let us know with pictures how yours turned out. There's endless possibilities.
I have grandkids this week. We're doing focaccia today.

Bread is like the sun. It rises in the yeast and sets in the waist. Unknown author
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Apr 11 2018 :  12:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a loaf of sprouted wheat batter bread in the oven and a fridge full of salami, pepperoni, ham and provolone. For the salad, I have black olives, green olives, and capers for a start. I might add some peppers or artichoke hearts, we will see.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
75 Posts
Sara
Paris TX
USA

Posted - Apr 11 2018 :  1:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ashley, The way you describe those sandwiches is making me want one. Hopefully it won't be too long and I can give it a try. Until then I will just have to drool all over your posts and keep Mother bubbling away. I received the two 2 qt Pyrex bowls from Amazon for making batter breads so I am all set on that end.

Lord put your arms around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Apr 11 2018 :  2:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My batter bread is out of the oven and cooling on the counter. I think will assemble the sandwich tomorrow and hopefully have a few yummy pictures to share . The 2 qt Pyrex bowls are one of my favorite dishes to bake bread in. The crust is unbelievable--I'm a sucker for crispy crusts. It's good to hear that your mother is bubbling away, and hopefully soon you'll be able to bake up some batter bread!

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Apr 18 2018 :  10:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sandwich was a hit, but a word of caution, it’s big! My family didn’t even eat half of the sandwich for dinner, which left enough for a couple snacks and another light dinner. I think it would make a great sandwich to pack along for a picnic.

It was easy to put together, I just cut the top 2” off of the loaf and hollowed out the bowl part just barely (the part I cut out was really good buttered and toasted in a skillet). After that, I spread out my olive spread on both halves of the loaf. I layered the round half with meats, cheese, and some baby kale. Then, I wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerated it for 8 hours. I read quite a few recipes and most suggested wrapping the sandwich tightly in plastic wrap over pressing. This seemed easier than finding the right size pressing plate, not to mention odds and ends to weigh the sandwich down.

Since this is a regional sandwich, I have no way of knowing how it compares to what one would enjoy in New Orleans, but sometimes ignorance is bliss, because this sandwich was blissful indeed.

For the olive spread, I used:
1-2.25 oz can sliced black olives, drained and minced
1/4 cup Castelvetrano olives, pitted and minced
3 T oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained and minced
1 T capers, drained and minced
1 T fresh parsley, minced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/2 t dried basil
2 T red wine vinegar
2 T olive oil

I combined all ingredients in a bowl and then spread it on each half of the sandwich.

For the filling, I used:
6 ozs ham
4 ozs salami
2 ozs pepperoni
6 ozs sliced provolone cheese
1 cup baby kale

On the round half, I arranged the ham, salami, pepperoni, and provolone cheese in layers. Then I topped it with baby kale, put the top of the sandwich on, wrapped it in plastic wrap, and refrigerated it for 8 hours.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Nelle
21 Posts
Janelle
Millersburg Ohio
USA

Posted - Apr 18 2018 :  4:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks amazing!

Never Been Unloved
Go to Top of Page
  Topic