Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Beginner Breads
 2. Creating a Wild-Yeast Starter (Mother)
 Mother
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Maffeism
3 Posts
Sue
Hamilton Montana
USA

Posted - Feb 20 2022 :  12:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new and just started my mother today. I used unbleached white from Mary Janes Farm. This may be a silly question but if I also wanted to have whole wheat (the Kamut sounds yummy) can I have two mothers going at the same time?

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Feb 21 2022 :  09:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course! In fact having more than one mother going can be beneficial, especially when they're sitting next to each other. When two mothers are placed next to one another, they share their air which, by default will increase the volume of wild yeasts in the air that they can pull in.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Wildrise
1 Posts
Denise
Jensen Beach Fl
USA

Posted - Nov 22 2023 :  06:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the book Wild Bread
I’m a bit confused on the starter. So you never discard any you just continue to add 3/8 flour and 1/4 cup water for the next month when it mature enough to use? It seems like you would have way to much starter if you just keep feeding without discard?
Instructions a bit confusing

Wildrise
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
169 Posts
MaryJane
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Nov 22 2023 :  5:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Denise. I think what you're looking for can be found by reading page 28 where it references turning your extra batter into waffles or pancakes for the first couple of weeks. Depending on conditions in your home, it takes about four weeks, sometimes six weeks before you have a mature mother. During that time, you'll make waffles/pancakes and then you'll move to batter breads and then you'll move on to advanced breads.

MaryJane Butters, author of Wild Bread ~ for we were all one family then ~
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: