Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

ReneC
3 Posts
Margaret
Bloomington Indiana
USA

Posted - Nov 16 2021 :  11:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just started my mother five days ago, using brown rice flour. I am seeing some bubbling, so I guess it is going okay. We are gluten-free, so I am really hoping this works out. My husband is also on a low-sodium diet, but I think the teaspoon of salt needed for two loaves will be fine. To actually eat a sandwich with bread that is not full of chemicals will be great!

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Nov 17 2021 :  09:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rene! Thank you for stopping by. It sounds like your first Bake Day is fast approaching. Have you thought about what you'll try to make? I highly recommend pancakes or waffles for the first week while your mother is just getting started. If you do decide to reduce the salt, it shouldn't effect the outcome of your breads. It's there for flavor only.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

ReneC
3 Posts
Margaret
Bloomington Indiana
USA

Posted - Nov 17 2021 :  10:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you mentioned trying the pancakes. I was wondering how the starter should look, whether it is ready for bread yet. It has some bubbles and smells a little sour. I saw in the book that I can freeze some of the starter, since there is no way I could use all of it for pancakes. Thanks for mentioning I can get by without the salt.
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Nov 18 2021 :  09:24:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, freezing some of the mother for pancakes, or really, anything in the Quick & Easy Sourdough Enhanced Treats section, beginning on p. 172, is great because these recipes don't rely on the mother for leavening. I like to package the mother into pre-measured portions and then put them the freezer, that way they're ready to defrost and use.

It's great to plan on pancakes or quick breads for the first couple weeks. This gives time for the wild yeasts in you mother to really develop. You'll end up with quite the stockpile of mother in your freezer for quick breads, but once you start making breads, you won't be adding mother to your freezer. Bubbly activity and a pleasant, sour smell are the best indicators that your mother is moving along nicely. It's difficult to describe the smell—yeasty like beer and a mild, tangy smell like plain yogurt are good. If the smell turns sharp, this a sign that the lacto-bacteria are a little overexcited. If this happens, spending little extra time stirring at each feeding usually helps balance things out. Ultimately, you are working toward a perfect balance between the wild yeasts (yeasty smell, bubbly activity, and ability to give breads loft) and lacto-bacteria (tangy, sour smell and flavor). In my experience, brown rice flour is pretty quick to mature and be ready for breads.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Laurie
1 Posts
LAURIE
SHELTON WA
USA

Posted - Nov 18 2021 :  8:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Laurie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello to all, I have been using "Mother" for a couple of months now. I have had some success and some "not" the best. So far French bread has been our favorite. Tomorrow I am trying pretzels. I am enjoying trying different types of bread. I am excited to be able so see others successes.

Laurie
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Nov 19 2021 :  09:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Laurie, I'm glad you stopped by. French bread is one of my favorites too. I hope your pretzels turn out well today. Which type of flour are you using?

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: