Author Topic  

Heather Giusti
3 Posts
Heather
PETALUMA CA
USA

Posted - Apr 28 2020 :  5:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

If I'm not getting much rise in my beginner batter breads after 4-5 weeks, can I try using some baking powder to get a little more rising action? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  10:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using baking powder to make breads with more lift could work, but I would approach it as making a quick bread, rather than a batter bread or any other bread from the Beginner Breads Section. This will require some tinkering on your end, but a good place to start would be the muffin recipes on pages 178–181. There is even a tip on p. 181 for baking the muffin batter in mini loaf pans. I'm sure standard-sized loaf pans could also be used with some adjustment to the baking time and covering the loaves with foil towards the end to prevent over-browning.

Does your mother seem to be progressing in any way?

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Heather Giusti
3 Posts
Heather
PETALUMA CA
USA

Posted - May 09 2020 :  08:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ashley,

She's beautiful and bubbly, and she smells terrific. It's just that when it's time to rise, she does not. I'm hoping this week might be the week. We shall see...fingers crossed!

Is it possible that she starts to deflate later in the week? She seems much more active around Wednesday or Thursday (I started her on a Monday), but then towards the end of the week, she kind of goes "flat". I'm also wondering if my original bag of flour was old....I'm on to a fresh bag...
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - May 11 2020 :  08:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious if you'll notice a difference with the fresh bag of flour. I'm wondering if you're seeing fewer bubbles later in the week due to the volume in the bowl. If you spend a little extra time stirring your mother at each feeding this can aerate her and promote more yeast growth. When I'm making something new, I always like pictures for reassurance that I'm on the right path. Here is a link to a different thread with a picture of a bubbly mother just before it was mixed into batter bread: http://wildbread.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=134 Do the bubbles on the surface of your mother look similar by the time Bake Day rolls around?

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: