Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Chris
2 Posts
Chris
Moose Lake Minnesota
USA

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  11:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone. My name is Chris. I started my mother April 9th, 2018. It took 4 weeks for it to be ready to make the advanced breads. I used a white Wheat Montana flour and well water throughout. Now I add fresh ground wheat to my recipes if inclined. I prefer the Dutch Oven bread and have developed a black rye version for variation. The EPI is fun to make...I bake it on the back side my cast iron pizza pan, and preheated in the oven.

I have only baked a bread once a week. My question, how often can I use my mother? Everyday? If so, how? Otherwise how soon can I use the mother again after a bake day?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  1:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris, It sounds like you've found a system that works great for your breads! To answer your question about baking frequency, you can bake as much or as little as you'd like. The hitch is that if you do want to bake bread everyday, I think you'd want to split your Refrigerator Mother into at least two separate mothers. This way, you can alternate between them, ensuring that each has had enough time to begin to ferment after feedings.

In order to spilt your mother, you'll want to build it up first. This should be easy enough--just feed your current mother triple the usual amounts of flour and water after removing your 1/2 cup for Bake Day. The next week, split the mother in half, remove 1/2 cup from one of the mothers (for baking breads that day), and then feed both mothers triple the regular amount. From there, you should be able to alternate which mother you pull from each day. I think it would be best to work out how to stagger the days that you feed each mother, allowing each at least a day to ferment after you've fed them.

I hope this helps!

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page

Chris
2 Posts
Chris
Moose Lake Minnesota
USA

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  2:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ashley. I will tuck this info in my cook book. If I let the mother ferment at least 24 hours it should be ready to bake with. A twice a week baking should be no problem while maintaining only one mother.

A family member has lupus and trouble digesting foods. They were so happy to find they can enjoy this naturally fermented bread with no trouble at all.

This process of bread baking is a treasure.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  9:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you shouldn’t have any problem at all baking twice a week while maintaining just one mother. I’m so happy to hear you’ve found so much value in the process laid out in the book! And it’s amazing to hear that your family member with lupus is able to enjoy breads made using a wild yeast mother with no trouble.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: