Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Charlotte Gilchrist
2 Posts
Charlotte
Talent OR
USA

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  09:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello from Talent Oregon! I was so excited to get the book for Christmas. A little disheartened after reading the massive list of equipment and expense to get set up. And was hoping to do Oat flour mother but even more disheartened when reading about others experience with oat mothers being challenging . . . going on a vacation before starting process and still waiting for the first few items to get started. Not sure what gluten free flour to do. Oats are my best grain followed by rice. Really not up for sprouting and grinding quinoa. The process is daunting at best! Hoping for inspiration on which road to take! Happy to be starting soon!

CharlottGilchrist

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  12:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Charlotte, and welcome! When working on Wild Bread, we put a lot of time and energy into making sure that the recommended products were necessary. Many of the items on the list are things that people already have in their kitchen (loaf pans, thermometer, glass measuring cup, silicone spatulas, baking sheets), and a others like the 3.75-qt Glasslock mixing bowl and the 10 1/2" Marinex baking dish are necessary to hold the volume of mother you will have after a week of feeding your counter mother. We tried less expensive 4-qt glass bowls, but the base of these bowls was so wide that it was impossible to find a dish that the bowl would fit inside with enough room around all sides to hold the flour-sack cotton towel that keeps your mother from drying out. Basically, we wanted to recommend products that work and are easy to find.

Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck with creating an oat-flour mother. I sounds like you've read the threads on the chatroom about this. At the end, the smell of the oat-flour mother was too pungent, and I couldn't imagine keeping a mother going that smelled the way this one did. If rice is your second best flour after oats, then how about white rice or brown rice mother? As for quinoa, it doesn't need to be sprouted--you can mill plain, un-sprouted quinoa to use in a mother. While working on the book, we were unable to source milled quinoa flour that wasn't overly bitter. That's how we landed on milling our own. I understand that this is an extra step, and requires a mill, so it isn't an option that's feasible for everyone.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: