Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Marilynn
2 Posts
Marilynn
Victoria BC
Canada

Posted - Jul 14 2018 :  08:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an established starter and I tried to use it for the basic batter bread loaf. It worked ok but had a strong vinegar flavour. I would like to try some of the other beginner recipes but am unsure how to convert them to use with my starter. Thoughts?

Ashley
656 Posts
Ashley
MOSCOW Idaho
USA

Posted - Jul 16 2018 :  09:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you used your established starter to make the batter bread loaves, how much of your starter did you use and how long did you let it ferment?

Occasionally, I make batter bread using my refrigerator mother. I use 1/2 cup refrigerator mother and mix it in my Glasslock bowl with 3 cups flour and 2 cups water the night before I want to bake. I place my bowl in the fluted baking dish an cover it with a moistened flour-sack towel just as I would a counter mother. The next morning, I add 1-1/2 cups flour and 1 cup water. Then I wait roughly 2 hours and proceed with the batter bread recipe, using the volume amounts included in the chart for whichever flour I am using.

Something to note is that this process doesn’t allow much time for all of the added flour to ferment and break down, and the gluten structure is stronger. Because of this, I prefer to mix this type of batter bread in my stand mixer. This process should work for the other recipes in the beginners section.

Ashley Ogle
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: